Monday, August 23, 2010

Adairsville to Cincinnati

August 20th, 408 Miles

Today finds us on the road heading to the Cincinnati area for a week where we will catch up with friends, family and clients. The day started great, a little ahead of schedule, which was just fine with us.

Once on I-75 northbound, we headed for our intended fuel stop 12 miles ahead at the Flying J, the last one in Georgia where prices are lower. At the pump, I put my Rewards Card in and immediately the message told me to see the cashier. Went inside and was told they didn’t take this card any longer because Flying J just merged with Pilot. We don’t like Pilot because they do not have an RV Rewards program and their fuel price is higher.

Went back to the pump to fuel, the pump wouldn’t go on. I pick up their intercom phone to find out what’s happening, it rang but no one answered. Back inside, second trip, only to find that I have to tell them how much fuel I’m going to use. It’s now “Pre-Pay”, new rules with the new company and no one knows what the rules are. Now I have to predict the number of gallons I will need, the Amazing Karnack wouldn’t even know. So, I guessed at 100 gallons, left my credit card and went back to the pump. I waited patiently for the pump to go on with no luck. Third trip back inside they said they were unable to turn on the pump so I retrieved my credit card and we left. At least I got some exercise. Thirty minutes, no fuel, there went our ‘ahead of schedule’.

Back on I-75 for 8 miles to another Travel Center to try again. Things have certainly changed since our last road trip in 2008!!

2 comments:

  1. I ran into that how many gallons thing myself about a year ago. I thought it was totally stupid as they had my credit card in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I FlyJ all the time and have yet to have all that happen. Not that FlyJ has been on top of things since they BK'd. It started with the $10/$5 charge to dump. Without the card it'll be $10 I suppose. But, I know the Pilot change is on the way. I don't like Pilot either - they are all trucker and that's it. Thanks for the heads up on what is sure to be spreading across the FlyJ landscape.

    ReplyDelete